Over the last two months I have spent more time than I’m willing to admit researching supplements for PCOS. I don’t know where the hell I’ve been, but somehow I missed the fact that women have been taking supplements to actually ease – and sometimes resolve – their PCOS symptoms. At this point I have nothing to lose, so I dove right in.
*Please note: I am not a Doctor, or a Nutritionist. My research is my own, and I do not recommend anyone take anything listed here without talking to a medical professional about it first. This is simply my personal experience.
I started this PCOS Regimen early October, and am now into my second cycle of it:
- Inositol (Powdered, 2g 2x daily – dissolved in veggie juice)
- Folic Acid (1000 mcg, 1x daily)
- Omega 3 (700 mg, 3x daily)
- Vitamin D (3000 iu, 1x daily – dissolved in grape juice)
- Multivitamin (Natures Bounty, gummy, 1x daily)
In that time I’ve learned 3 things:
- The trickiest part, by far, is ensuring I take everything every day. There is a lot to take, and you cannot just take it all at one sitting. It needs to be spread out through the day. I am thankfully not on any other meds, except Synthroid for my Thyroid that I take the second I wake up, so I don’t need to worry about contraindications.
- Take liquid or powdered every chance you can… it is SO MUCH EASIER to dissolve in some juice or water and drink it…plus some doses are too high for pills. I would literally need 15 pills of Inositol per day to get the recommended 4g.
- The dose on the bottle is almost never what you actually need. The dosing on the bottle is there for safety, and for normal people who consume enough of the supplement or vitamin in their diet, and really just need an extra boost. Not for people with a condition causing them to be deficient in certain things…those people need significantly higher doses. **I also want to add that before you increase doses of anything…please run it by a professional – doctor, pharmacist, nutritionist, naturopath – because some high doses of vitamins and supplements can actually be fatal.
So having said all that…I managed to take it almost consistently every day. These are my results:
- My face has been oily for like 3 years. Despite washing it every day with a good facial scrub. Despite using oil removing cloths through the day to remove oil. Despite using sensitive makeup made for oily skin (and super $$$)….I’d wash my face at 5:30 AM in my shower, and it would be oily by 10 AM. BUT THEN…sometime around mid-October I noticed I could go an entire work day before my face got oily again. And that plus has continued since…and I am LOVING it.
- I’m less crazy. No, for real…that’s legitimate. I mean, I still have bad moments and good moments – but the swing that I didn’t even notice I had between extremes is now gone. When I’m upset, it takes time to develop and time to leave. I never swing from happy to sad anymore (or vice versa). I’m just significantly more emotionally stable. This is a totally unexpected plus, and I will take it…even if it’s not related to the supplements.
- My period is typically anywhere from 18 day cycle to 45 day cycle. It usually shows up suddenly in full flow, with minimal symptoms, stays for a couple days of heavy, clotty bleeding, and then disappears as quickly as it came. I can count the number of times I’ve had cramps or sore breasts on one hand. My doctor has always said a lack of symptoms is likely indicative of improper hormones. BUT THEN…this cycle, I had a solid 8 days of “pms-y” type symptoms, followed by a completely mild (normal) period with zero clots that began on CD 32. It ramped up and then ramped back down in 5 days, exactly like a period should. This is BY FAR the most exciting plus so far. I am thrilled to have a period with in the range of completely normal.
While I absolutely realize this could all be coincidence, and have nothing at all to do with the supplements…I am OK with that…I’m just thrilled to have had a normal period, less oily skin and stable moods… and I hope if I continue to take these supplements, that I will continue to experience these pluses.