It’s 2017 – can you believe it? I feel like it was just yesterday when I was counting out that I would be 13 years old in 2000 and COULDN’T IMAGINE EVER BEING THAT OLD. Now here we are 17 years later and I still can’t ever imagine being that old!
I love to make and fulfill goals each year, and always set them at the beginning of the year. I have two basic rules:
- Must be attainable (doesn’t mean easy, just means I actually have a chance at completing it)
- Cannot include family building. Too many years have passed where I have been propelled into depression because I cannot check off that goal – so I have banished the option. Family building will happen when it happens, but making it a goal tricks me into believing I have some control over it and then leads me to believe I’ve failed when I can’t fulfill it.
My 2016 Goals were:
- Go on a real vacation/be in the process of going on a real vacation! (Done – even though its booked for later this month, it still counts! We booked and planned it last year!)
- Start Mr. Big’s retirement savings (Done!)
- Mr. Big finish Firefighter school ( DONE!)
- Learn to drink and enjoy wine (I tried, I really, really tried but every single glass I had ended up down the drain, and instead I drank rum from my wineglass…so that kind of counts, right??)
We were also blessed with health and happiness in 2016 (despite a couple scares) and for that I am so, so thankful. 2016 was a good year.
My 2017 Goals:
- Pay down credit cards
- Buy a new house/be in the process of buying a new house (ours is TOO small!)
- Learn to love myself and be true to myself (the trickiest of my goals, for sure!)
Do you like to make goals? Do you do them at the start of the New Year? What are you striving for this year?